I had the pleasure of being photographed again fairly recently, and I love it because getting in front of the camera helps me understand the mind of both the photographer and the subject. Which I, of course, found extremely useful in my business AND personal selfie taking.
Of course, since Mabyn was the brilliant photographer behind the camera, and I was the crazy-haired photographer in front of the camera, we thought this might be the perfect opportunity to do something really fun!
So today, we decided to do two collaborative blog posts on getting your best portraits/selfies/etc - me, speaking from the viewpoint of the "model" and Mabyn speaking from the viewpoint of the photographer. I will be sharing a few of my absolutely favorite tips that will help you show off your best and sexiest side, using actual images of me doing the thing. These tips will help you whether you're taking a selfie for instagram, posing for a quick snapshot with friends, or being photographed with your new cute fiance!
Then, if you're eager to know how to direct someone ELSE into the best poses and looks, visit Mabyn's blog for her brilliant portrait-taking tips from behind the lens!
If you've watched America's Next Top Model, like, ever, you will be very much aware of this word and it's meaning. If you haven't, well you clearly don't know what you're missing!
Smize is the act of smiling with your eyes, a word completely coined by Tyra Banks but that I still use on a regular basis. Here's how you do it:
- Look into the camera/mirror and relax your face. Now pretend the cutest guy in the world is walking towards you - we'll call him Thor.
- Since you're not sure it's actually Thor, you're going to squint your eyes. Not a lot, you're not blind. Just enough to create a little tension, but you don't want to feel any other part of your face move. Channel your inner sexy into your eyes.
- Now, because you're actually shocked that Thor is coming towards you, part your lips just a bit, with a soft inhale.
- Tilt your chin down just slightly to bring more focus to your eyes and BAM, you're doing it.
- Hurry up and take the photograph before it's gone.
I have found that the key to this is going for the tension then slowly releasing it. When I was being photographed, Mabyn told me that my eyes would get really big and intense, so in my head, I added the last step of softening my squint (by blinking once) and my lips (by breathing in, then out). I can still feel the tiniest bit of tension but my eyes come across far less fierce. Not that fierce is bad, but it isn't always what I'm going for.
How this helps your selfie: two words - sexy. eyes. they're the windows to the soul after all aren't they?